Parke’s Castle – This fortified manor house is located on the banks of Lough Gill in Leitrim, on the R286 road (Sligo – Dromahair), about 11 kilometers east of the city of Sligo.
Originally it was a stronghold from the early 17th century originally belonging to the O’Rourke clan – rulers of the Breffnia kingdom, and the owner was Sir Brian O’Rourke, which is confirmed by the excavations of 1972-1973,Sir Brian himself was executed for high treason in Tyburn in London in 1591.
The next owner was Robert Parke and his family, who in 1610 completed its construction. Robert Parke’s preserved the walls of the original external construction, but demolished the tower house in the center and the stones from the tower were used to build a three-story manor house on the east side, decorated with multipolar windows and diamond-shaped chimneys.
In recent years, it has been restored using Irish oak and traditional craftsmanship to give a full taste to the life of the castle from the 17th century.
The castle can be visited from the end of March to mid-September between 10:00 and 18:00 and the length of the visit is about 1 hour, and the tour is guided.
A great place for families.