Muckross House and Gardens (from Irish Teach Mhucrois)

To get to this property, take the N71 route south of Killarney (about 7 kilometres), the estate itself dates from the seventeenth century when the first member of the Herbert family from Wales settled in Killarney. The house itself is a stately residence with sixty-five Victorian rooms and was built between 1839 and 1843, designed by William Burne for Henry Arthur Herbert and his wife.

In the 1850s great preparations were made for the arrival of Queen Victoria in 1861 – it was these preparations and improvements, which consumed a lot of money contributed to the financial problems of the family and in 1899 this property was bought by Arthur Guinness, who did not live there himself but he rented this house as a hunting lodge for wealthy groups.

In 1911, the house and the entire estate were once again sold to the California mining magnate William Bowers Bourn, who along with his wife decided to hand it over to his daughter and her husband Arthur Rose Vincent as a pre-wedding gift. The couple lived there until Victoria’s death in 1929.

In 1932, Victoria’s parents and widowed husband decided to hand over the house and property to the Irish people, and that was the first National Park named “Bourne-Vincent Memorial Park”, which was the foundation for today’s Killarney National Park.

The house is situated in a beautiful scenery in the Killarney National Park, on the shores of Lake Muckross. The entire estate has about 13,000 acres

Muckross House can only be visited with a guide, and is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm and in July and August until 19:00 (last entry at 18:00).