Donegal Castle – is a castle located in the center of Donegal. It was built in 1474 on the River Eske by the O’Donnell clan – one of the most powerful Gaelic families in Ireland from the 5th to the 16th century at the same time Hugh O’Donnell – the clan chief and his wife Nuala built a Franciscan monastery downstream .
In 1607, just after the war the O’Donnell clan had to leave Ireland and Hugh O’Donnell burned it so that it would not fall into the hands of the enemy. Four years after the clan left O’Donnell in 1611, the castle and its properties were granted to English captain Basil Brooke, who rebuilt it. The castle remained in the hands of the Brooke family until the 1770s, when they moved to Lisnaskea in Fermanagh County.
Brooks sold the castle to the Gore family and from the beginning of the 17th century the castle began to fall into disrepair, and then the owners handed the castle over to the Public Works Office (OPW), which partially restored it at the beginning of the 90s and it was open to visitors.