Doe Castle – Located on Sheephaven Bay near the R245 road, between Carrigart and Creeslough in County Donegal, was the historic headquarters of the MacSweeney clan who came from Scotland.
It was most probably built around 1420,although a two-story hall was added in the 1720s. The castle remained in the hands of the MacSweeney family for 200 years.
In 1650 it was taken over by Sir Charles Coote – the governor of Londonderry, and then in 1790 was bought by Sir George Vaughan Hart which was inhabited by his family until 1843.
In 1932 the castle passed into the hands of the government, and two years later it was recognized as a national monument and it was transferred to the OPW, which in the 90s carried out a thorough renovation.
The grounds around the castle are open every day, but the castle itself can only be visited in the summer months, so it’s better to check before we go there.