Cahir – a town in the county of Tipperary on the river Suir. The town has a medieval castle which is one of the largest and best preserved medieval castles in Ireland.
The castle was built in 1142 by Conor O’Brien, the prince of Thomond. In 1372, the castle received a new baron Cahir, in recognition of loyalty to King Edward III.
The castle was twice besieged in the battles associated with the English Revolution in the 1740s.
In 1961, the last Lord Cahir died and the castle became the property of the state.
Today it is available to tourists